Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fledgling Affection

"So, what would be the top five things you do if the 2012 fiasco were to happen?"
Kanika Chaturvedi left this query for me @twitter a day before. I had never given it a thought. If the world were to end, as has been predicted in some quarters, in the year 2012, what would be top five things I would want to do? The high bred among my stock of friends would snub the query, as useless confabulations of some vacuous brains. But it was an interesting note to have welcomed in the year 2012 with. So, I tweeted.

The first interesting detail I would remember from the year 2012 would be the following five points, which are the innocent first thoughts to have entered my brain. I find them naive and cute at the same time, and I am copy pasting them straight from twitter. Of course, with slight bit of my musings accessorizing them at their tail end.

#1 I have letters to write. I want to finish them before the world ends.
As said earlier, I love the whiff of paper. There are certain traditional paradigms, which, I wish, had not been hijacked by the technology which establishes itself as an omnipotent deity at present.  Writing letters is a romantic's delight! Quite obviously, hence, it is mine. There are some I started on. Some are pure cheese and corn mixed together to let my special ones know they are special. Some others are important confessions of guilt, hurt and anger which I wanted to convey to dear kith after putting thought and heart in it. They lie incomplete. But they are cozy reminders of how much I value those who make my world. And if it were the world, my world coming to an end, these I intend to complete as a first priority. Sounds bollywood-ish? Well, that's what I grew up watching. (

#2 There is a large chunk of Italian Cuisine I still have to taste. Learning it won't make sense anymore.
To call myself an inveterate foodie would be an understatement. I recently started falling for Italian cuisine, realizing quite late that luscious Italian culinary specialties are naturally made for me. I am 'cheesy' and 'corny' in my thoughts and writings, may be also in my appetite. Those dollops of cheese of a dozen different kinds, that creaminess, that subtle aroma of herbs, and the generous quantities of corns and mushrooms in different preparations- this is stuff that dreams are made of. Give chocolates and give me cheese- I won't have a single regret before dying then.


#3 There are some people I met via WSDC/EOC interactions, who are in need of urgent smiles and warmth. They will take my attention.
Hugs and smiles in copious quantities, to everyone walking past by. On a serious note though, being at the helm of organizations like Women Studies and Development Cell and Equal Opportunity Cell made me come across some faces and some stories that can touch anyone at the softest spot in their heart. These were stories of courage, of despair, of honesty, of losses, of dreams, of daring, of tears and of smiles. The faces behind these stories, some at least, don't need, but deserve some genuine smiles and warm hugs. 2012 or not- this one thought I intent to keep. At some places at least, we should not procrastinate.


#4 I dream of a novel. To compensate hastily, I will compile Nascent Emissions into a book, printed with a jazzy cover, & kiss it when done.
It was supposed to be a secret dream, but the moment I posted on twitter, being a published author no longer remained secret, but it still remains a dream. I realized it a moment too late, but the thought of the alternative devised to suit the requirements of ending time filled me with mirth. Nascent Emissions forms an important part of my subconscious, I realized. And why should it not? It has been a companion for the most special of my thoughts and ideas.


#5 I will marry!
Oh yes! This, I will. Now is not the best time to write on it, because I am filled with the visions of passion which surface when Elizabeth Turner (the heroine of a compelling Barbara Bradford historical fiction which I am reading currently) meets her love and is consumed by it before she can take another breath. However, this is perhaps the most important part of my top five. So, even though the visions are their, describing them is a near impossible task. I can only share a chuckle and some knowing smiles with other fellow romantics, females specifically, for they would know why this wish. All this romance, it has to go somewhere, isn't it?

Thanks Kanika Chaturvedi, for being the idea behind this post. More gratitude for giving my these silly smiles and thoughts. Not all of them are silly though. He was an intelligent man who asked us to live each day as our last. To do a few things mentioned above, and a few more things which are pullulating inside my brain, I do not really need to wait for the end of the world. What should be done, must be done. So, except for the marriage bit, I shall do all. Its a better note to begin the year on, rather than resolving to lose weight, because, as Sonal Kalra puts it, 'woh hota toh hai nahi'.

And now that I mention her name, I am also reminded of the fact that I wanted to dedicate my first post of the year to the people I love. But Ms. Sonal Kalra stopped me. In her casual yet persuasive tone, she churned out another priceless set of calmness tricks, this time on the first day of 2012. Her article, titled Are You Ready To Fall In Love? was about just that, falling in love, not with anyone, but your own self. Her fabulous quill yet again worked its magic, and made me want to dedicate the first post of they year to myself. I will heed her advice and not spend the year seeking the approval of others. I will make sure I have my own.

“To fall in love with oneself is the beginning of a life long romance.” –Oscar Wilde

PS- All this new blissful affection, its my new year gift for myself. I believe in gifts, remember? I hope you all do to :) Love and best wishes for a great year(s) ahead! Even though my most clairvoyant friend thinks this is the last, I'm happily assuming the opposite.

Mere liye :)

14 comments:

  1. Lot are talking about 2012 being a doomsday. I don't believe in that...But still it would be fun to make a similar list as it would be full of excitement...

    Lovely narration...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Saru! And thanks for the vote too :)
    Let me know if you make a similar list, I would love to check it out.
    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was beginning to admire you as a reasonable person until I came to the 5th point on your wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a list.. I hope you get on with all five of them..

    I love the quote.. It has definitely made me contemplate a few things.. Btw, when ever you come up with a book, I am surely going to buy it.. I love the way you put your thoughts in writing..

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glancing at the 5th point I related myself to an unknown territory and felt nervous!

    Good post though, a nice blend of head and heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. though i firmly believe v gonna see 2013(and i will have to give my college exams) bt this whole notion of things to do before u die is actually interesting..i loved ur last 2 points,the smile on my face increased till the maximum as i completed the blog,my thoughts full of reverence for u....:)

    ps: publish the book soon,ill b waiting and i want ur autograph on it,special edition for me..:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jyoti
    Awww! That is such a big compliment for me. The book, I do not know about. But the quote, I know it makes a lot of sense. It has made its way to the list of my favorite all time quotes.
    PS-if the book happens, I will remember this comment of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Destiny's Child
    Oh! Ha ha! My saner self has no immediate plans of implementing that wish. You can call it an impulsive wild idea. I quite liked the way you put it 'blend of head and heart'
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Apoorv
    Arre! Bilkul. If I ever am able to fulfill the dream associated with point number four, then a copy will come your way with much love.
    I just feel blessed I can make a few people smile. You, are of course a special little kid brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This apprehension of doomsday in 2012 gives me chunks of strength and courage to go and have fun, and give all your confabulations a try.

    I dont know if it will happen or not because both the sides have their strong arguments.

    What i am aware of is that the saying "to live each day as if there were no tomorrow" makes you do things which you would have procrastinated or dreaded due to some reason otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Siddharth
    Same here. Believing in Dooms Day, or for that matter in anything with undertones of pessimism is a particularly daunting task for me. But this was a fun exercise.
    And to confess, I not only like this statement of living each day as the last, but also practice it. It just helps me associate a lot of value to time, things and people.

    ReplyDelete